Healthy New Year’s Resolutions for Kids

Posted By admin / January 2, 2016 / Uncategorized / 22 Comments

Happy-New-Year-Clip-art-Images

The start of the new year is a great time to help your children focus on forming good habits. The following list of ideas for you to talk to your children about trying, depending on their age. ​

Preschoolers

I will clean up​ my toys by putting them where they belong.
I will let my parents help me brush my teeth twice a day.
I will wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating.
I will help clear the table when I am done eating.
I will be friendly to all animals. I will remember to ask the owners if I can pet their animal first.
I will be nice to other kids who need a friend or look sad or lonely.
I will talk with my parent or a trusted adult when I need help or am scared.

Kids, 5 to 12 years old

I will drink reduced-fat milk​ and water every day, and drink soda and fruit drinks only at special times.
I will take care of my skin by putting on sunscreen before I go outdoors on bright, sunny days. I will try to stay in the shade whenever possible and wear a hat and sunglasses, especially when I’m playing sports.
I will try to find a sport (like basketball or soccer) or an activity (like playing tag, jumping rope, dancing or riding my bike) that I like and do it at least three times a week!
I will always wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter or skateboard.
I will wear my seat belt every time I get in a car. I’ll sit in the back seat and use a booster seat until I am tall enough to use a lap/shoulder seat belt.
I’ll be friendly to kids who may have a hard time making friends by asking them to join activities such as sports or games.
I will always tell an adult about any bullying I may see or hear about to help keep school safe for everyone.
I will keep my personal information safe and not share my name, home address, school name or telephone number on the Internet. Also, I’ll never send a picture of myself to someone I chat with on the computer without asking my parent if it is okay.
I will try to talk with my parent or a trusted adult when I have a problem or feel stressed.
I promise to follow our household rules for video games and internet use.

Kids, 13 years old and older

I will try to eat two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables every day, and I will drink sodas only at special times.
I will take care of my body through physical activity and eating the right types and amounts of foods.
I will choose non-violent television shows and video games, and I will spend only one to two hours each day – at the most – on these activities. I promise to follow our household rules for videogames and internet use.
I will help out in my community – through giving some of my time to help others, working with community groups or by joining a group that helps people in need.
When I feel angry or stressed out, I will take a break and find helpful ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or talking about my problem with a parent or friend.
When faced with a difficult decision, I will talk about my choices with an adult whom I can trust.
When I notice my friends are struggling, being bullied or making risky choices, I will talk with a trusted adult and attempt to find a way that I can help them.
I will be careful about whom I choose to date, and always treat the other person with respect and without forcing them to do something or using violence. I will expect to be treated the same way in return.
I will resist peer pressure to try tobacco-cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol. I will also avoid the use of e-cigarettes.
I agree not to use a cell phone or text message while driving and to always use a seat belt.

Source: AAP

Comments

22 Comments

• Karen Giasson
    January 21, 2016 at 7:28

These are nice thoughts, however unless the reminders keep coming kids will forget their resolutions. Possibly focusing on one improvement at a time would work.

• soha molina
    January 21, 2016 at 7:28

The reduced fat milk resolution is a great one. That one will be hard for my daughter to keep.

• Terri Quick
    January 21, 2016 at 7:28

Very good ideas for resolutions. If I had kids I’d share them.

• william gossage
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

These sound like great resolution for the kids. they said they try to do them

• Addie F.
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

Some of these are really great. But these are less resolutions, and more sort of guidelines to live by. I think it would be great if kids picked a few to focus on for the year, but not all of them at once!

• Dana Smith
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

The resolutions are good ones and easy for kids to follow.

• Sarah L
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

No kids, but I resolve to pick up my room…. My goal is to swim 3 times a week.

• Jeanna Massman
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

I love these resolutions for children are great! I would love to introduce them to my grandson.

• Holly Thomas
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

I don’t believe in resolutions especially for kids, they should be doing these things anyhow.

• Cynthia C
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

These are all things we hope our kids will always do. They do need reminders from time to time, though.

• Robin Abrams
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

These are great resolutions for kids. My kids have to work on keeping their rooms cleaned and picked up

• Natalie
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

These are very doable resolutions for kids of all ages. I really like the resolution to clear the table when they are done eating.

• Erin Will
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

I have preschool age kids and I love these resolutions! I put all new storage bins in their rooms and let them help me organize them so now they know exactly where their toys should go when they are done playing. We are working on making sure they wash their hands before dinner every night.

• Richard Hicks
    January 22, 2016 at 7:28

I like almost all of the kids resolutions. Great way to get them to make important changes in their young lives.

• Sandy Klocinski
    January 23, 2016 at 7:28

One way to help kids form positive habits is to keep things positive. Adopt a positive frame of mind yourself, and make sure the environment at home is happy and comfortable. Make sure your home is an abode where your kid feels safe and comfortable. Use toys to teach responsibility within the household, like teaching the child to put the toys back in the right place after playtime is over.

• Barrie
    January 23, 2016 at 7:28

My teen is 17 and KNOWS how to eat healthy but doesn’t always make the best choices. I focus on protein, fruits and veggies for her.

• Linda Szymoniak
    January 24, 2016 at 7:28

My girls are older and I think I’ve instilled good habits in them. I’m just glad they got through the issues of high school. I just wish I could make it a perfect world for them.

• Melissa Crisp
    January 25, 2016 at 7:28

Yes these are great resolutions for these age groups. That being said I have a 12 year old boy and I swear his resolution is for be as funky as possible for 2016. This age group can be exasperating. They’re hitting that awkward stage in life and they do the complete opposite of what is told to them.

• Allyson Bossie
    January 25, 2016 at 7:28

Great list of things. I love that they are listed per age appropriateness, so that one can simply post a list of things for them to check off!

• Richard Brandt
    January 31, 2016 at 7:28

Get your kids used to reduced fat milk and they’ll come to love it! Well, it worked for me, anyway.

• Sue Mullaney
    February 1, 2016 at 7:28

These are great resolutions, and I also like that they’re listed by age groups. Also, kids can just concentrate on doing one thing at a time (one thing a week or something like that), they don’t necessarily have to do these things all at once.

• Susan Smith
    February 1, 2016 at 7:28

These are great resolutions for kids of all ages. My daughter would add to promise to do her homework and study for tests.